. . . an eclectic mix of things I find beautiful, inspirational, important or just plain interesting . . .

21 January 2010

missed connections

Thursday, January 14, 2010
-m4w - 28
Not only did you introduce me to the wonderful world of knitting, I quickly found myself smitten with you after chatting for a few minutes. Despite you mentioning you had a boyfriend, I can only hope he is terminally ill so that I'll get a shot at knitting something for you one day.
You were one of the warmest people I've met on a subway at 2am, and a reminder why I love this city.

I recently came upon a posting about a blog called Missed Connections. Here's what the artist, Sophie Blackall, says about her work:

"Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down."

There's a brief video on her blog that explains her work. I think these are amazingly poignant.

She sells her prints here.

via oh joy

No comments:

Post a Comment