. . . an eclectic mix of things I find beautiful, inspirational, important or just plain interesting . . .

24 April 2009

shopping for the classes or the masses?

I visited the new shopping center, "The Lumberyard" in Malibu yesterday. I had read a few articles about it, not all positive. I came away with a mixed opinion. Although it is nicely designed using reclaimed wood, beautiful plantings and a state-of-the art septic treatment system (because Malibu has no sewer), the store selection left me scratching my head. The highlight was the J Crew store, with it's reasonable prices. 

The lowlight was the James Perse store. The merchandise was almost non-existent and hung too high for customers to reach.

Local residents are fearful that Malibu is turning into another Vail, with no local business serving the community. 

Dick Van Dyke, who lives locally, said it best when he complained of having to drive to Agoura or Calabasas to shop for a screwdriver and underwear.

You decide.

Read more in the LA Times here. Or in the California Apparel News here.

No comments:

Post a Comment